Friday, August 24, 2007

Third and final week in Shanghai

We've had another busy week here. Our regular classes and teaching practice continued. We had a day trip on Saturday to Zhujiajiao, which is a watertown outside of Shanghai. We didn't take any pictures because we were very lame about charging up the battery....so, if you would like to see the pictures we SHOULD HAVE taken, you can visit a blog created by one of the other families in our group. Tim takes fabulous pictures and he also has a nice narration of some of the group activites from the past three weeks. Just go to www.lewisesinchina.blogspot.com - Carlos and Elena are in a few of their photos, too. It was a fun day. The best part of it was the lunch. The food was incredible - SIXTEEN dishes - some were vegetables, others were pork and chicken, various appetizers, noodles galore, river crab, etc. Absolutely delicious!

Gustavo's Chinese language skills are coming along. He does all of the ordering in restuarants for us. I use Chinese when it's really important. I guess eating doesn't rank that high with me. But, I did however get a very nice manicure using my own Chinese. Gustavo is amazed that I always can talk (in any language necessary) when it comes to getting my nails done.

We're getting quite used to Shanghai and now we are leaving. We head for Kunming on Saturday the 25th. Our contact person emailed and said that our apartment is clean and ready for us. Living in a hotel room for 3 weeks has been cozy, but we're ready to spread out a bit. We are all anxious to see our new home and to welcome cooler temperatures. I'm not sure how soon we will be able to be connected to the internet, so I will post as soon as I'm able.

Tonight we have our farewell dinner with the group. We'll say our good-bys and everyone goes to their host city tomorrow. About 5 teachers are staying in Shanghai and the remainder are spread across the country. It's reassuring to know we have a friendly face or two in about 5 cities in China. As I write this, it's 4:30pm Friday the 24th. In 23 hours we land in Kunming. Our adventure continues...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann,

I enjoyed looking at the pictures you posted - it looks like you all have had a wonderful time in Shanghai. I hope you get this before you leave tomorrow. I have no idea how the time is different between here and there. Have safe travels and I look forward to reading about your new adventure in Kumming after you get on the internet again. God bless - Linda & Yensi

Unknown said...

Hello to everyone, All your faces are smiling, I'm really happy to see that. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on. Travel is fun, but I bet your ready to settle down. Everyone is good here, Elizabeth finally went back to school...Yea...I'm busy with Grandpa and work. We are going to arts beats & eats with steph & cody. Hope you all stay happy & healthy, Love & Kisses Lin Excuse any mistakes, not wearing glasses.

Unknown said...

hola, buenos dias, Gustavo, como estas sabes estaba escribiendo un mail, y justo se corto la luz, y sone se borro todo pero igual te deseo buen dia para ti y para Ann los niños y todos en general, no te olvides del cumpleaños del Andres, el 18 de sep a las 11.45 nacio ahi cumple 22 lindos años, espero que le dejes un mensaje el correo de Andres es este:pgugged@gmail.com, ese es su correo, ho si no por fotoblog que es lo mismo pero un saludo de cumpleaños le llegaria genial bueno deseo que esten todos bien y saludos a todos, nosotros estamos bien gracias a Dios, bendiciones para todos ustedes, y felices fiestas patrias desde chile ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡guauuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!! chaolandya , Julia.